Friday, February 20, 2009

Improv

I'm really excited to be getting into improv comedy. If you've ever seen the show "Who's Line Is It Anyway?", that's what I'm talking about. But, wait a minute. I'm pretty sure that some of you haven't. So, in improv comedy, usually there is a host and two teams, that improvise scenes or games based on the suggestions of an audience. For example, one of my favorite games is "Pieces of Paper". So, in Pieces of Paper, the host asks for suggestions from the audience as a scene and maybe a character each player should be. In addition, the audience writes down somewhere between 6-9 lines on pieces of paper. As the scene progresses, the players have to incorporate these lines into the scene. It makes it pretty funny, and the audience enjoys being part of the scene.

Anyway, my sister, Biz, and my brother, Jon a.k.a. Paco, began doing improv workshops three or four years ago. As a result, both became involved with the comedy group, Comedy Sportz (Biz is a regular player and Paco does "Mr. Voice"). If you haven't seen Comedy Sportz, you really should. They are hilarious, and I always have a good experience (i.e. laugh until it hurts). Here's their website in case you wanna check it out: http://comedysportzutah.com/

Anyway, so Biz is pretty darn good at imrov, and she (and a few other people) decided to get a group together up in Davis County. So, they created (or maybe re-created) the group The Impovables, which performs at Rodger's Memorial Theater in Bountiful/Centerville.

Anyway, I think I'm a marginal actor at best, but Biz and Paco have been encouraging me to come and do improv with them. So, over the last two months or so, I've been learning some of the improv games, and I've even performed in improv two or three times. It's very difficult, but tons of fun. I know that I'm getting better, but right now I'd rate performance as somewhere in between really crappy and terrible. Not really sure. But, anyway, it's a ton of fun learning how to do all this stuff.

I won't tell you the details (i.e. Time, Place, etc) yet because, I wanna wait until my skillz are just a little better. But if you must know it's Friday nights at 10:30 at Rodger's Memorial Theater. I usually do it every other week, so just let me know if you're interested in coming. Tickets are $5 but I usually get a couple of comp tickets.

5 comments:

@emllewellyn said...

MY sister's name is Biz too!

Jonathan Plowman said...

Don't blow it!

Jamie and Julie said...

Got to have a quick mind on your feet...

Unknown said...

that's sweet, Steve. I'll see about coming to check it out

Anonymous said...

Hey- I have a friend who does that improv group at Rogers!! Johnny Call? hmmmm...small world.